Uploaded by: Knoema
Accessed On: 28 November, 2015
The collection of 'Telecommunication Services' statistics covers the following indicators:
(1) Employment in telecommunication The indicator gives the total number of people employed in telecommunication services and the number of people employed in fixed and mobile telecommunication and Internet service provision. Employment is converted into full time equivalent units, average of the year.
(2) Investment The indicator gives the total gross investment (in Mio euro) in tangible goods i.e. investment for acquiring property (land and buildings) and plant (e.g. switching equipment, transmission equipment, office machinery, and motor vehicles), and investment in fixed telecommunication networks (excluding cable TV services), mobile telecommunications: GSM and GPRS, mobile telecommunications: UMTS (excluding licenses), and in other telecommunication networks (Internet, satellite and cable telecommunication equipment and infrastructure other than for broadcasting).
(3) Turnover The indicator gives the total turnover (in Mio euro) from all telecommunication services and turnover from leased lines, fixed network services, cellular mobile telecommunication services, interconnection services and Internet service provision.
(4) International receipts and payments The indicator gives the total revenue (receipts, payments) from international incoming and outgoing telecommunication traffic, in Mio euro. Incoming telecommunication traffic: income received from foreign telephone operators for completing calls originating in foreign country. Outgoing telecommunication traffic: charges received from subscribers for placing outgoing calls after deduction of the share of this income to be paid to other organisation for outgoing telecommunication traffic (operators of the incoming and possibly transit countries).
(5) International calls The indicator gives the amount (in 1000 minutes) of international incoming (originating outside the country with a destination inside the country) and outgoing (originating inside the country to destinations outside the country) calls in fixed and cellular networks.
(6) Traffic The indicator gives the total amount of national calls and the amount of local calls, national long distance calls, cellular mobile calls, minutes of internet connection, calls from fixed to mobile and mobile to fixed networks, calls within mobile networks and calls from mobile to mobile networks (in 1000 minutes).
(7) SMS (short message service) The indicator gives the total number of SMS (text messages) sent (in thousands).
(8) Access to networks (in thousands) The indicator gives the number of main telephone lines and subscriptions to the services of the operators offering mobile telecommunication services and the number of leased lines, ISDN subscriptions, DSL subscriptions, Internet subscriptions and subscriptions to cable networks enabling internet use, number of connections to telecommunication networks through electricity networks (Power Line Communication - PLC), subscriptions to mobile telecommunication systems enabling use of UMTS and the number of users of Voice over Internet Protocol telephony, in thousands.
(9) Access to networks (per 100 inhabitants) The indicator gives the number of main telephone lines and subscriptions to the services of the operators offering mobile telecommunication services per 100 inhabitants.
(10) Household share of main telephone lines The indicator gives the share of main telephone lines for residential use (i.e. lines which are not used for business, government or other professional purposes or as public telephone stations) as a percentage of total main telephone lines.
(11) Operators and service providers The indicator gives the number of fixed network operators offering local and long distance national telecommunications (facilities based or resale) and international telecommunications, and the number of cellular mobile operators (digital or analogous, facilities based or resale), cable and satellite service providers (excluding pure programme distribution) and internet service providers (access and backbone services).
(12) Broadband penetration rate This indicator shows how widely broadband access to the internet has spread in the countries on the general level, not specifying by user group.
(13) Prices of telecommunication The indicator gives the price in Euro of a 10 minute call at 11 am on a weekday (including VAT) for a local call (3km), national long distance call (200km) and an international call (to USA). The prices refer to the month of August for the period 1998-2005, and to the month of September from 2006 onwards. Tariffs without special rates are used.
(14) Market shares in telecommunication This covers two structural indicators: market share of the incumbent in fixed telecommunications by type of call (local, long distance and international calls) and market share of the leading operator in mobile telecommunications.
(15) Information technology expenditure in millions of euro and as a percentage of GDP Data refer to the expenditure for information and communication technology in millions of euro and as a percentage of GDP, with breakdown by expenditure for telecommunications and IT expenditure. Data in millions of euro are coming from the annual report of the European Information Technology Observatory (EITO).